Sunday, December 17, 2023

Another blind dog?!

 Woke up last Sunday morning to take the dogs on a walk like we do every morning or afternoon. Dad had Sunday meetings so Olivia went with me. Didn't pay much attention to getting them started because I was finishing up a text. We got to the empty lot where a truck was there with two dogs not very friendly dogs. Tried calling the dogs back, Leo came quickly but not Appa even with me holding a treat in my hand. Usually that gets him, but nothing. He even couldn't get through the barb wire gracefully. The truck owner took off with his dogs so we started back on the trail to which we noticed Appa runny into stuff, very obvious stuff. Olivia leashed him and he wiggled right out. No way could we go down the cliff like that. He continues to walk almost into cactus. It appears we have another blind dog. No injury to cause it, no discharge from the eye, he legit lost his eyesight over night. Yesterday's walk was uneventful. At the end he didn't come when I called he kept going to the backyard fence even though I was on the other side. I thought he was just confused. Called the emergency vet and since he is still eating and has energy and isn't throwing up I'm to make an appointment tomorrow. An eye vet appointment just in time for Christmas 🤑 I really hope it's not worse.


One minute everyone in the family has eyesight the next they don't 🤷 Life.

....On Tuesday I took time off from work to take Appa to an eye vet. Dad had a dentist appointment so it was just me. It was miserable. He's an ornery dog by nature so add no eyesight and he is a walking time bomb. He wouldn't get weighed or put or let anyone get close. They asked if they could take him in the back to do everything I was like yeah I don't need to witness this. They had to put a muzzle on him because he kept growling. They put two shots in his eyes. They think it might be valley fever or another type of infection so he's on several different medications to try to figure out what it is. We have to put drops in his eyes like every 4 hours and give him pills several times a day. He might regain his eyesight. When we were leaving in the parking lot Appa got out of his harness and refused to get inside the car the vet clinic is located right by a busy road so I quickly threw the leash around his belly. I tried for 15 minutes to coax him into the car. He just laid on the asphalt. I finally called the clinic to see if anyone could help me. It took three additional techs and he chewed through a harness and finally by the grace of God he followed me in the car. I spent about 30 minutes in the parking lot. Then on the drive home he kept climbing into the front seat and throwing the stick into neutral. I was literally crying while driving. This dog....

No comments: