The little girl inside of me who struggled with learning disabilities and attention issues got a huge victory on May 19th. I remember sitting in school as a kid and hearing my teacher explain something and my inner voice would say "Lesley focus I think this is going to be important just try to listen to the end." Inevitably my thoughts would shift and I would hear Christopher Cross's song "Sailing" and I would be out to sea...I sailed many oceans especially in math class. I scrapped my way through school and college and earned a Communication degree. After 10 years of teaching preschool at my home I felt impressed to shift course slightly and teach in school. This required me to pass two subject tests. One test heavily concentrated in algebra and geometry. Covid required my preschool to close and allowed me time to hit the books. The Lord loves effort and he magnifies our efforts when we ask and try. Thankfully my kids are wicked smart and helpful and managed to tutor their mom with patience.
The night before the test I took a practice test. I finished 20 minutes over the time allotted and I got a D...I was so incredibly discouraged. Many tears were shed. I figured I didn't have the luxury to take my time on the test. I had less than 2 minutes on each question. So if it wasn't coming I just had to make an educated guess. I literally left for the test in tears.
During the test I didn't feel panicked, I worked on the problems and just went for it. I finished 20 minutes early. I thought now what?! Do I go over every answer? I went back to the first two questions reviewed and changed the answers. I was mentally drained. Then I prayed, "Lord is it enough?" And I felt the impression, yes it's enough. I felt like He was saying it's enough because you failed and no amount of reviewing will help. I was at peace with that answer and turned in my test. Thankfully the results were almost immediate.I passed the test!!! I couldn't even make it to the elevator before I started to cry😭 I called Benjamin bawling.
The week before the test the Come Follow Me scripture study was on the two Nephite groups that had been delivered from basically enslavement. I love those chapters. I had prayed for deliverance but was also praying that I would be ok if things didn't go my way. So grateful I was delivered. I can't remember a time I studied more. I haven't been in school for 20 years, when did I get old enough to say that?
The Lord magnified my efforts and I passed both tests! The English /Social Studies test was the week earlier. I passed that with with minimal worries.
I will now be a kindergarten teacher at a STEM school. Before I got hired I had interviewed with two other schools. Interviewing is so vulnerable. Grateful that search is over.
I love teaching because I love kids. I know that our greatest weaknesses are tied to our greatest strengths. My learning disabilities made me a hustler. Those early disabilities make me appreciate the kid who struggles to sit still but can organize an inclusive game at recess.
1 comment:
your going to be a SCHOOL TEACHER!!!!???? holy heck les!!!! great job. and your such a fabulous example of always being a hustler.
love you!!
Post a Comment