Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A new Career .....

Lindsey with Ryan, baby Owen and her real mid wife
Me the mid wife in training with baby Owen


Lindsey with her crew, it now has 7 members now!

I received one of the most notable tender mercy's of the Lord that I have ever gotten. And it all happened after I turned thirty! To me the definition of a tender mercy is the witness that our loving Heavenly Father knows who each of us are personally and because of that, He knows how to individually bless us in ways that my seem insignificant or not note worthy to other people. But it is His godly timing that lets you know that such events occur because of Divine intervention.
Stated more eloquently by the Apostle Elder Bednar, "Some may count this experience as simply a nice coincidence, but I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Often, the Lord's timing of His tender mercies helps us to both discern and acknowledge them."

Last weekend I flew up to Utah to go to Women's Conference with Lindsey, I would have just the weekend to bond and be kid free, we both had been looking forward to this for weeks. On Thursday,we attended various uplifting speeches. It was amazing to walk into a stadium full of 15,000 plus women of all ages attending this conference . We took part in a huge world wide relief service project (we loved the assembly line putting together hygiene packets that were getting sent to hundreds of locations around the world). The next day Friday would be the same, speeches service projects that good feeling, but Heavenly Father knew otherwise.
That night on Thursday evening there was a concert for the conference, it was basically a rock concert for mommas, it was great! The last performer commented how earlier performers had moved the audience to wave their cell phones in enthusiasm and how he had never seen the audience do that for him, I turned to Lindsey and said get your cell phone out, She reached down with her pregnant 37 weeks self and leans over to tell me her water broke! Yahoo I would be able to be there for the delivery. After laughing so hard we left the concert and drove back to Bountiful were she lives and almost 19 hours later she gave birth to her beautiful baby boy Owen Ryan Wallace Smith 7lbs 1 oz . Her husband Ryan was gracious enough to let me help coach her natural delivery...yes 19 hours worth! It was like cheering her on in the 2 mile tack meet event or rather our Marathon that we had run together as teenagers. It was great, I cried more than Lindsey and Ryan combined. Heavenly Father knew how special that weekend would be and helped with the timing, seriously one of the most blessed weekends. I even got to cut the cord! I think his name should be Owen Ryan Lesley Smith :) but I will settle for my Scottish heritage in Wallace! Great fun here are some picks. I think I need to go back to school for Midwifery !
PS Suzie got us a great souvenir of the Conference a CD of all the performers and a signed autograph of the last Singer who put Lindsey in a labor! Too Cool!

6 comments:

natalieandderyk said...

How awesome!! And natural child birth, thumbs up to Lindsay!

Linda said...

That is the coolest thing ever. I can't wait to hear more details about this baby you delivered. :-) How awesome that you could be there for one of your twin's babies to be born--way, way cool! I think I would be too squeamish but you seemed to really like it and 19 hours is a really long time (poor mom!). If you still liked it after that--maybe you should go for it.

Suzie Howe said...

I love the quote from Elder Bednar. What a great reminder to help us recognize the hand of the Lord in our lives. And 19 hours with no epideral what a woman.

Robin said...

That is so fun! How awesome for both you and Lindsey. By the way, I LOVE your hair!

Jen said...

Congrats Lesley! That is such a great story. I think you would be a great midwife. You always seem calm in stressful situations and find the fun in things. If I was gutsy enough to do a natural childbirth, I would totally hire you!!! Tell Lindsay she is awesome, 19 hours is a very long time to be in pain.
PS. I totally agree that Mesa doesn't deserve an Eegees and that it will taste better if I have to drive to get it, but it sure makes it easier to get. And more affordable if we now figure in gas prices! :)

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful blog to read!! I think it is so aswesome that you could experience that with your sister! HOW beautiful! YOU mighta just found your calling in life girl! Thanks for the beautiful blog!
-------------OTT(off the topic)
We should get together next week, for pizza, fun and games at our house...
let me know!